- Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
- As quoted in Homage to Greece (1943)
- What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
- As quoted in Flicker to Flame : Living with Purpose, Meaning, and Happiness (2006) by Jeffrey Thompson Parker, p. 118
- This quotation is likely a modern paraphrasing of a longer passage from Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, II.43.3. (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Greek-2004...)
- We do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics is a man who minds his own business; we say that he has no business here at all.
- Pericles commenting the participation of Athenian citizens in politics, as quoted in Models of Democracy (2006) by David Held, Stanford University Press, p. 14
- But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.
- Pericles' Funeral Oration
“Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you. ”